Glaser Portfolio Indicators provides a portfolio service to individuals and family trusts, building portfolios of assets from start or remodelling mature portfolios that are not performing up to standard.
We are an advisory business with a simple business model that keeps the client close to their assets, and keeps us close to the client.
We believe in the realities of the financial market, which delivers returns along a fairly predictable scale, with shares at between 8% and 10% per year, property at a similar level, and progressively lower for bonds, cash and other assets.
The role of the advisor is to beat or match those returns without taking unacceptable risks. But at an absolute minimum, your portfolio must never fall behind market returns for any extended period. If they do, corrective action must be taken and fees should be suspended.
Achieving a better than economic return is almost impossible when layers of intermediaries manage your money. If fees and other costs accumulate to say 2.5% pa or higher (and this is quite standard when you combine adviser, custodian and managed fund fees), it means that as much as 25% of your retirement wealth will be eaten away by expenses over a 7-10 year period.
This amount of “bleed” is very difficult to make up, except by increasing the amount of risk you are prepared to take with the assets.
Our solution is in a business model that:
- Buys securities directly on the market or through an index fund and not through managed funds.
- Keeps assets registered in the client’s name, not in a custodian, to maximize ownership safety, and reduce administration costs.
- Limits adviser’s fees to an hourly rate for work done, and NOT charged as a percentage of assets. The hours needed for building and monitoring the portfolio are estimated at the beginning of each year and capped, which can substantially reduce cost for the client. Where we calculated above that investment through intermediaries typically drains 2.5% per year from your portfolio, a portfolio through Glaser Portfolio should cost no more than 0.6% per year to run.
- Prohibits commission or kickbacks from product providers that results in damaging conflicts of interests.
- Manages and monitors the client’s assets daily, getting away from emerging risks and taking opportunities where they exist.
- Generates substantial in-house research to track emerging risks and opportunity in the cycles that all assets are subject to (there is more on this in the section on Share Portfolio Management).